A toothache is mainly caused due to a deep dental caries or tooth cavity. Toothaches are also caused due to infections and inflammation.
When you leave a tooth cavity untreated, the bacteria penetrate on your decayed tooth through small openings into the root of your tooth. Once the bacteria invade into the dentin and reaches the pulp tissues, it results in infections and causes abscess formation. The formation of abscess can cause a severe toothache.
Anbesol VS Orajel for a toothache – which works better Anbesol or Orajel
In order to alleviate a toothache, Orajel and Anbesol are 2 widely used pain relievers. Both are prescribed to treat a toothache. They contain benzocaine as an active and main ingredient. Benzocaine belongs to a local anesthetic drug class and this is usually used as a topical pain reliever.
They are available in over the counter as gels, pastes, liquids, sprays, or as oral anesthesia. Apply Anbesol or Orajel cream to a toothache area and leave it for some minutes. You will get fast and quick relief from tooth pain.
But, benzocaine products – Orajel and Anbesol are known to give rise to a serious side-effect known as Methemoglobinemia.
What is Methemoglobinemia?
It is a blood disorder characterized by the presence of abnormal amounts of methemoglobin in the blood. In red blood cells, hemoglobin is the protein that carries oxygen to the body. Methemoglobinemia is a condition where the oxygen percentage is reduced in the bloodstream. And the decreased oxygen in the blood can result in death. Hence, Methemoglobinemia can be life-threatening.
The Methemoglobinemia condition was mainly seen in children and infants who were treated for teething. Hence, benzocaine is not suggested for using in kids under 2-years of age.
What can I use besides Orajel and Anbesol?
You can buy oral medicines available in over the counter to ease your toothache. Here is the best toothache medicine over the counter.
Acetylsalicylic acid (ASA)
(1) Aspirin –A medication used for treating pain, fever, and inflammation. A toothache due to a broken tooth, dental cavity or pulp infection can result in sharp tooth pain.
(2) Paracetamol – It helps to relieve pain, and also, reduces fever. Paracetamol along with codeine is very effective to treat a severe toothache.
What kind of drug is codeine?
Codeine is an opioid (narcotic) pain medication. It is typically used for treating mild to moderate degrees of severe pain. Codeine can also be used for a cough and diarrhea.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS)
These drugs are better than other pain relievers since they help to alleviate both tooth pain and inflammation.
What is ibuprofen tablet?
It is a medication used to treat pain, inflammation, and fever. These include Rheumatoid arthritis (swollen, painful joint), painful migraines, and menstrual periods.
How does ibuprofen works in the body?
Ibuprofen blocks the production of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are substances that your body releases whenever you have injury and illness. These substances produce inflammation and pain in your body. Ibuprofen is the best medicine you can buy over the counter to get a toothache relief caused by the inflammation of the gums or tooth.
What is Nurofen?
Nurofen plus is oral tablets that contain ibuprofen and Codeine as active ingredients. It is used for easing a toothache, fever, and headache also.
(3) Acetaminophen (APAP)
They are a non-narcotic pain-relieving medication used for treating mild to severe toothaches. Acetaminophens are safe to use.
What is the best medicine to take for a toothache?
Besides Anbesol and Orajel, here are a few commonly used prescribed medications used in dentistry, which is good for toothaches.
- Percodan – It is a superb painkiller for a toothache. It contains oxycodone and aspirin combination. It alleviates pain immediately by reducing substances that cause inflammation, pain, and fever in the body.
- Endocet – It contains a drug combination of oxycodone and acetaminophen. It is a narcotic (opioid) pain reliever that is very effective to alleviate your tooth pain.
- Hydrocodone – A narcotic pain reliever, it is one of the strongest pain reliever used for alleviating a toothache. Most of the toothaches are treated using these tablets. A combination of hydrocodone and acetaminophen is used for relieving severe pain and to have a better effect.
- Roxicet – It contains a combination of acetaminophen (non-narcotic) and oxycodone (narcotic) drug. It is good to alleviate a toothache.
- Vicodin ES – It is a combination of powerful Hydrocodone, a narcotic pain medication and acetaminophen, an over the counter painkiller. The less potent acetaminophen increases the hydrocodone effects. Vicodin ES is used for relieving mild to severe pain.
- Percocet – It has a combination of oxycodone and acetaminophen. It is used to treat moderate and severe acute tooth pain.
Antibiotics for a toothache infection
Antibiotics are required in order to treat abscess and infections. Combining antibiotic along with painkiller will get rid of the bacteria, which is the main reason for a toothache. Here are a few prescribed antibiotics: