A toothache can appear due to grinding or clenching teeth.
Many people clench their teeth unconsciously when sleeping during the night. Some people do it unknowingly during the daytime when working out. Clenching teeth can have a longer bite force pulse of 1 to 30 seconds.
What is bruxism habit?
Excessive grinding of the teeth or clenching of the jaw is called as Bruxism. While intermittent teeth clenching is not so harmful, constantly teeth grinding consciously or unconsciously can cause an adverse effect on your jaw bones and teeth.
One of the damaging effects of teeth clenching is a toothache. And clenching teeth can be one of the main reasons of a toothache in most of the people.
What causes teeth grinding and jaw clenching in adults during the day?
The main factor that causes grinding teeth is usually stress and tension. Another factor that makes you grind your teeth is caffeine, anger, misaligned or crooked teeth, medications, and alcohols. But, stress and anxiety are supposedly the major culprits that cause teeth grinding while awake and is the answer to the question – Why do people grind their teeth?
Bruxism pain symptoms or symptoms of clenching teeth at night in sleep
- Some people can make a sound during grinding or clenching, but some people may not create any noticeable noise.
- Teeth clenching during the night can cause dull-toothache like symptom.
- When you wake up in the morning, you may have sore jaws and a dry headache. Initially, the headache starts in your temporal part and later proceeds to your forehead.
- Your tooth can be sensitive to cold or hot foods and while biting the food.
- You may get a stiff neck and jaw pain.
A toothache because of teeth clenching is usually due to tooth sensitivity to hot or cold foods. A person suffering from a toothache because of teeth clenching will not be able to precisely pinpoint a particular tooth that is causing an ache. Rather, the person can point to his cheek area.
Can clenching your teeth cause tooth pain?
A toothache is often caused due to tooth sensitivity. The people who clench their teeth, their tooth enamel erodes away resulting in dentin layer exposure below the tooth enamel. The enamel substance is extremely important to protect your teeth from sensitivity and decay. Once your tooth enamel is eroded, there is no protective layer left on your teeth. And this leads to a severe sensitivity of your teeth.
Tooth enamel wears away when the opposite teeth make contact with excessive pressure for a long time (without food). The high pressure can cause severe teeth necrosis, tooth fracture, and even the teeth falling off.
How to stop grinding your teeth naturally and treat a toothache?
A toothache from clenching teeth can be treated if it is diagnosed early followed by preventable remedies. The first thing you need to do is visit a doctor and examine any teeth clenching symptoms. Your doctor can suggest you dental splints for teeth grinding or Bruxism mouth guards for teeth grinding to wear during the night.
Natural home remedies for a toothache caused due to teeth clenching
Here are natural herbs for teeth grinding pain relief you can use to alleviate a toothache caused because of teeth grinding. They are effective and safe in relieving tooth pain.
- Yarrow Herb – Crush its root and put it on your teeth and gums. The yarrow herb will soothe your severe toothache.
- Butternut tree – Apply the bark of this tree on your gums. It can relieve your clenching toothache.
- Clove – Grind clove or make use of a clove oil and put it on your aching tooth. It will instantly alleviate your pain.