Have you ever wondered:
- What can I take for a toothache while I am pregnant?
- What medicine can a pregnant woman take for a toothache?
- Is it safe to use Orajel during pregnancy?
- Can you use Orajel while pregnant?
Here is the truth you need to know about:
Is Orajel safe during pregnancy?
Orajel is totally safe to use. It is simply a local anesthetic over the counter product. It is used to temporarily alleviate toothaches. In fact, dentists recommend it. Practitioners will usually use this Orajel medicine for the expectant mother if needed. Because this is a non-prescription, over-the-counter product, you should not use for more than 7 days.
But, before you learn about can you use Orajel for a toothache and how to get rid a toothache during pregnancy first trimester, second trimester, and third trimester, here is a comprehensive view about – what is the cause of a toothache during pregnancy and how it occurs.
What is a toothache?
The pain that happens in and around your tooth is a toothache. The pain starts from within your tooth or from the surrounding tooth supporting structures (gum and bone periodontium tissues).
How does a toothache feel?
The pain of a toothache is normally felt as an intermittent or constant pain that persists. Some foods or behaviors can trigger a toothache and sometimes even make it worse. They are called as a toothache triggers. They include:
- Cold foods and drinks
- Biting down anything
- Sweet foods
- Applying other pressure on your tooth
- On other occasions, you can get a tooth pain naturally without any stimulation.
Symptoms of a toothache infection
The primary symptom of toothaches is a pain in your mouth and tooth. However, the type of tooth pain can vary and arise in various ways such as:
- Throbbing, sharp, or constant pain
- A toothache that happens only when the pressure is applied
- Bad and unpleasant taste in your mouth due to a tooth infection
- Swelling and painful gums
- A headache or fever
Causes of a toothache
Usually, a toothache is due to the inflammation developing in the soft, center part of your tooth. Here are the causes of this pain:
- Tooth decay or cavities
- Infection in the root of your tooth
- Broken or chipped teeth
- Repetitive motions (clenching or grinding)
- Damaged fillings
- Infected gums
Here is the detailed guide and review about:
Can a pregnant woman use Orajel?
What is Orajel?
Orajel is the brand name of a topical numbing medication Benzocaine. It is a pregnancy category C class drug and contains benzocaine at a concentration of 20% W/W. And it is a tooth numbing medicine available over the counter without the prescription.
What is Orajel used for?
Benzocaine is a local anesthetic normally used to alleviate pain or discomfort caused by cold sores, toothaches, gum sores, baby teething, canker sores, braces, fever blisters, cheek bites, and minor skin irritations, injury of your mouth and gums, and many other minor pains on your body surface. Benzocaine is an active ingredient in many anesthetic ointments like products for oral ulcers to help protect from a minor tooth infection and oral irritation.
How Orajel works?
Orajel acts quickly by blocking nerve signals where it is applied and numb the surface to relieve those symptoms. You can use to numb an area of your mouth before undergoing a surgical or medical treatment.
Is it safe to use Orajel while pregnant?
Benzocaine is fully safe to use. Because you just have to apply a small quantity of the gel to your affected tooth, it will not get into your system and affect your baby.
The people who are starting to question the use of Orajel are, in fact, questioning its use on their 6-months-old babies. Since Orajel numbs a baby’s throat, it makes people imagine causing problems.
Dental health is very important during pregnancy. The risk of tooth infection is larger compared to the risk of tooth extraction. If a doctor or dentist tells you that Orajel is not safe to use and instead, you have to get a dental treatment done while pregnant, then realize that the dentist is a quack and you need to visit someone else.
Orajel is totally safe to use and you can go for it without worrying about it causing any harm to your baby.
How to use Orajel instant pain relief for a toothache?
Here are the tips:
- Cut open tip of the Orajel tube on score mark.
- With your clean finger, apply Orajel of an amount equal to a green pea size to your affected tooth area.
- Apply it twice a day for a week or at least once in a day.
How many times can you use Orajel in a day?
You can use Orajel mouth gel up to 4-times maximum daily or as directed by your HealthCare Physician.
Do you put Orajel on a tooth or gum?
Here is the easy and simple process. Rub the gel around the gums surrounding your teeth and set a little glob on your tooth.
How long does it take Orajel to work and numb?
Once you put it on, Orajel can kick in within a few minutes and provide instant relief and make you feel better. It works fast and lasts much longer.
How long does Orajel numbing maximum strength last?
Orajel Severe Pain Formula cream will stay in place for at least 1-hour for an extended duration of relief. Therefore, you must avoid drinking fruit juices or soft drinks or using toothpaste for about 90-minutes after you apply Benzocaine during pregnancy.
What happens if you use too much Orajel?
Because Orajel is a category C pregnancy drug, there are no data on the potential problems of using too much Orajel in humans. Practitioners normally use this for the pregnant woman, if needed. However, in general, it is intended for short-term use and not intended to be used continuously. You should not use it for more than 5 days at a time.
How much is Orajel too much?
Make sure you only use the suggested quantity of Orajel. Can you use too much Orajel? Using too much Orajel numbing medication can cause side effects. Be sure to apply only a green pea size of gel to your affected area.
How often can you use Orajel?
You can use Orajel mouth gel up to a maximum of 4- times a day.
Things to know before you use:
Orajel warnings precautions
Do not use Orajel:
- For more than 7-days and more than directed by your doctor or a dentist.
- If the package is damaged or the tube tip is cut before opening.
- If you have had an allergic reaction to the ingredient benzocaine. An allergic reaction can include itching, swelling, a rash, irritation, stinging, pain or redness worsening and persisting, and fever developing.
- Orajel contains inactive ingredient sorbic acid, which can cause local skin reactions such as contact dermatitis and polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol, which may cause skin irritation.
- If a doctor had told you that you have a difficulty in converting your methemoglobin blood component to hemoglobin. But, this condition is extremely rare.
- In children. For children who are below 12-years of age, they must be supervised while using this product and for children who are under 2-years of age, ask a doctor or dentist professional before you use this product.
- If you are taking any Sulfonamides antibiotic medicine such as Cotrimoxazole. The reason is that benzocaine can stop them from working well.
- If you are taking any type of medicines or have taken antibiotics recently without a prescription, then you must tell your doctor.
- During pregnancy or breastfeeding, talk to your dentist, doctor or pharmacist to ensure it is safe to use Orajel dental gel.
Orajel side effects in adults
Similar to all medicines, you can get side effects of too much Orajel. But, not all adults get side effects. If any of the following possible Orajel toothache side effects happen, then stop using the Orajel and immediately consult your dentist or doctor.
- Skin irritation
- An allergic reaction – stinging, burning, a rash, and itching.
- A very rare condition known as methemoglobinemia. It is a form of toxic anemia. It is characterized by the methemoglobin presence in your blood. In this condition, you have a difficulty in converting methemoglobin blood component to hemoglobin.
- Other side effects include high fever, headache, vomiting, nausea, pain worsening, swelling, redness, irritation in your mouth.
If any of the above Orajel side effects happen and gets serious when you take benzocaine topical, then immediately check with your doctor, dentist or pharmacist.
How to store Orajel Severe Toothache relief cream?
- Keep it out of the sight and reach of children.
- Don’t use if the date on the pack is expired.
What Orajel Severe Toothache gel looks like?
It is a pink gel and it smells fruity. Each tube contains 5.3g of Orajel dental gel. It has a pleasant taste.
Orajel ingredients list
Following are the active ingredients in Orajel.
- Benzalkonium chloride 0.02%. It’s an oral antiseptic.
- Benzocaine 20%. It’s an oral pain reliever.
- Zinc chloride 0.1%. It’s an oral astringent.
Following is the inactive Orajel ingredients list:
- Mentha piperita (peppermint) oil
- Polysorbate 60
- Polyethylene glycol
- Propylene glycol
- Edetate disodium
- Propyl Gallate
- Sorbic acid
- Sodium saccharin
- Stearyl alcohol
What can I use for a toothache while pregnant?
Orajel is the best toothache and gum relief cream to use when you are having throbbing and excruciating pain during pregnancy.