What are braces for teeth?
Braces are an orthodontic device made from metallic wire. It is used to apply pressure for straightening the crooked teeth and modify the underlying bone.
What is the best age to get braces?
The ideal age to wear braces is between 10 and 14 years of age. But, there are dental braces, which are made particularly for adults – Accelerated Orthodontics (speed braces or rapid orthodontics) which just take 6 to 9 months to get the results.
What are braces made of?
Here are parts of braces and functions:
- Archwire braces: Metal wires which are fixed to the braces. It helps to move your teeth.
- Buccal tube: It is an orthodontic small metal part, which is welded on the outside of a molar band. It holds face-bows, archwires, and lip bumpers with slots help.
- Orthodontic chains: Also known as power chain braces, it can be stretched. It holds the archwire into braces and makes it easier for a dentist to move your tooth.
- Band: Band is a metal ring for holding teeth on the braces.
- Bracket: A ceramic or metal part glued onto your teeth. It works as an instrument to fasten the archwire.
- Headgear and face-bow: A wiring device which is used for moving upper molars or molar teeth and creating a space for crooked teeth or crowded teeth. Facebow contains 2 metal parts – Outer part and the inner part. The inner part is horse shaped and is fixed to Buccal tubes. The outer part contains 2 curves, the curves which go around the face and connect to the headgear. An elastic neck band is used in this treatment.
- Ligating module on braces: It is a small plastic piece, shaped like a donut and is applied to hold the archwires in braces.
- Retainers: It is an equipment which the dentist advises you to put on once the braces are removed. It is fixed to your upper teeth and holds the teeth in the right position. Particularly at night, the retainer becomes more strongly connected to your upper jaw.
- Acrylic: It is a special plastic used for making false teeth, retainers and other teeth products.
- Nickel Titanium: It is a very powerful orthodontic wire that helps to quickly move the tooth.
- Alginate: A soft element made from alginate powder. It is tasteless, completely safe and used for making an impression.
- Bite plane: Removable equipment made of acrylic designed. It is used for opening a deep bite.
How much do braces cost?
The braces cost usually depends on the type of braces treatment you need to correct the teeth.
- Plastic Braces: If you need affordable and comfortable braces, then choose plastic braces.
- Traditional Braces: Made of metal, traditional braces help to straighten the crooked teeth and are placed on the top of your teeth. Some people find it beneficial while some may find it uncomfortable.
- Concealed Braces: The style of these braces is similar to traditional braces. But, concealed braces are placed at the back of your teeth instead of the top. These braces are less visible. As they are invisible, they are the most expensive.
How to prepare for braces treatment?
Here are some tips on what to do before getting braces:
- Remember that cost of the braces depends on your teeth condition.
- Before settling down to wear braces, it is recommended that you consult 2 or 3 different dentists so that you don’t get ripped off.
- Even if the braces are manufactured from the same company, the cost to fix up the braces can vary with different orthodontic dentists.
- Some orthodontist provides discounts on the braces cost. Normally, these dentists spend less on overhead fees, such as professional assistant and can be as good as the expensive orthodontists.
Teeth are an important part of the body. Avail an appropriate treatment before your teeth become severe. It is better if you choose an insurance policy so that you can save big bucks and keep your teeth healthy.