Many teeth whitening treatments and processes use peroxide as the bleaching agent in order to bleach the teeth. Peroxide is the active ingredient meant for any teeth whitening kit.
- At-home teeth whitening products and kits use hydrogen peroxide bleaching agents.
- And in-office teeth whitening products use carbamide peroxide whitening bleaching agents.
Both hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide are same compounds and hence perform bleaching work in the same way. Most of the whitening strips and mouth trays use hydrogen peroxide for whitening teeth. Usually, teeth whitening with dentist, involve dentist professionals using carbamide peroxide for whitening teeth initially. Then, a lower concentration or dilute solutions of hydrogen peroxide are used.
Difference between carbamide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide for teeth whitening
Chemically, carbamide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide are similar. Both the peroxide chemicals break down and permit the oxygen entry inside the dentin and the tooth enamel. Higher concentrations of carbamide peroxide get converted into the lower concentration of hydrogen peroxide. Hence, hydrogen is a dilute and milder form of carbamide peroxide.
Hydrogen peroxide vs carbamide peroxide – which is better?
Carbamide peroxide bleaching gives longer life and is more stable. Furthermore, it gives quicker teeth whitening result than the hydrogen peroxide due to its higher strength. Most of the times, dentists use carbamide bleaching agent for removing the stains. But, using carbamide peroxide teeth whitening in a wrong way can be damaging to the gums and tooth enamel.
What carbamide peroxide percentage is good?
Depending on the product, the strength of the carbamide peroxide solution can vary. The usual concentration is 3.5 percent, but, it can have a maximum 35-percent carbamide peroxide concentration.
Only dentists use high concentrations during the in-office teeth whitening treatments. At-home teeth whitening kits contain lesser carbamide concentrations since higher concentrations are a little risky when it is used in the home.
Powerful and stronger teeth whitening carbamide peroxide gel can give the best-whitened teeth quickly. However, if swallowed accidentally, they can be dangerous. High concentrations of carbamide peroxide can even make your gums and teeth sensitive and erode the tooth enamel. Eroded tooth enamel, causes dull teeth and eliminates your tooth luster. Furthermore, higher carbamide peroxide concentrations can cause your gum irritation and might even burn your mouth tissues and lips.
Hence, it is very crucial to verify the carbamide peroxide percent before buying any teeth whitening kits from the drug store or the market. If you want to prevent the damage to your tooth enamel, always begin with lower carbamide concentrations.
Peroxide on teeth – care and precautions for cleaning teeth with peroxide:
- Teeth whitening gels and products must contain carbamide peroxide in small concentrations as their bleaching agent.
- Always follow the product instructions and use it correctly. Never overuse it.
- Mouth trays and strips contain hydrogen peroxides. Therefore, you must take care when using these at-home teeth whitening products.
- Never over-fill the mouth trays with carbamide solution. Excess peroxide can spill out from the mouth tray and lead to chemical burns. Sometimes, you may even swallow it accidentally.
- Teeth whitening products having peroxide should not be regularly used. Regular use can harm your dentin and tooth enamel. If the tooth enamel is eroded, it will increase the risk of teeth sensitivity and gum diseases.
- Use carbamide peroxide whitening gels and products under your dentist supervision. Before using any of these teeth whitening products, refer your dentist professional first.
Is carbamide peroxide safe for teeth whitening?
Carbamide peroxide is an effective whitening solution which can eliminate any hard stains from the tooth enamel. It is very safe and can give you a long-lasting result. And when used correctly, it has no side-effects.
Check Here – Carbamide peroxide whitening gel Amazon