The severity of a tooth pain can greatly vary, from mild pain to an unbearable, throbbing soreness in your teeth and near your jaws. Some of the reasons for a toothache are an infection, gum disease, cavities, an exposed tooth root, a loose filling, a cracked tooth, or jaw joint disorder.
When having toothaches, the best remedy is to seek advice from a dentist immediately before the pain worsens. You can also try the following natural home remedies to temporarily relieve your tooth pain.
1) Aspirin – If you have a cavity, get some flavored baby aspirins, since they are tastier compared to plain aspirin. Crush your aspirin and apply it on your affected tooth. Let it dissolve on its self. This will give relief from your tooth pain.
2) Cloves – Grind some cloves and put few ground cloves next to your affected tooth. Let it stay in that place. Don’t try to eat the powder. After some minutes, you will see your toothache reducing. Since cloves are a pungent spice, brace yourself for some pungency.
3) Teabag – Take a regular tea bag and with some water, wet it. Then, apply your tea bag on your tooth. The tea contains tannins, which will help alleviate swelling and also give relief from your tooth pain. If you your teeth are insensitive to cold, then place your tea bag in ice cold water for a few minutes before you apply it.
4) Saltwater – Take warm water in a glass and mix a teaspoon of salt into it. Then rinse your mouth with a warm salt water solution gently. It will kill bacteria in your mouth and help the gum swelling.
5) Potato – Peel and slice a potato. Now place a potato slice against your aching tooth to get relief. Or you can grind potato using a pestle and mortar together with some rock salt and apply this paste on your affected tooth.
6) Cayenne pepper and ginger – Powder some ginger root and cayenne pepper. Add 3 drops of water and make a thick paste. Dip a cotton ball into it ensuring it gets covered fully. Now apply the cotton ball on your tooth. Make sure you keep your cotton away from the gums because it can cause irritation. This remedy can provide you instant toothache relief.
7) Garlic clove – Crush a garlic clove and mix it with some rock salt. Apply this paste on your tooth pain for getting relief.
8) Onion – Onions can cause a bad mouth smell. But if it can reduce your throbbing tooth pain, then most likely, you won’t care it. Put a raw onion piece on your affected tooth. Along with killing the germs that are causing your pain, it will also ease your toothache.
9) Peppermint tea – Steep 1-teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves in a cup of boiling water for around 15-minutes. Strain and let the tea cool. Then use it as a mouth rinse. Repeat your rinsing till it provides relief from tooth pain.
10) Cucumber – Slice a fresh cucumber and put it on your affected tooth. If the cucumber was in the fridge and your tooth is insensitive to cold, then use cool cucumber or else bring it down to normal room temperature before you put it in your mouth. You can also mash up the cucumber and add some rock salt to it. After that, apply the mashed cucumber on your affected tooth in order to get relief.